What is sovereignty? According to Webster’s II, New Riverside University Dictionary, the definition of sovereignty reads, “n.1 Supremacy of authority or rule as exercised by a sovereign or sovereign state.” Sovereignty means supreme rule. For any Political Party, there must be an establishment of Sovereignty, even if they advocate for disorder. I will say up front the Constitution Party believes Sovereignty reposes in God, and that Omnipotence is one of His attributes. Let us examine what other political parties and philosophies believe about Sovereignty.
1. The Libertarian Party believes Sovereignty reposes in man’s reason and logic. Men who are Libertarian say that things are, “against reason”, “against logic” and “against science”. The problem is man is fallen and sinful, and so is his reasoning. Good reasoning comes from the Christian world-view, as found in the Bible.
2. The Republican Party believes Sovereignty resides in what is good for humanity. The GOP was founded by Humanitarians and social reformers.
3. The Democrat Party believes Sovereignty stems from the popular vote. Steven Douglas, Abe Lincoln’s opponent called his pro-slavery position “Popular Sovereignty.” A popular vote may win some elections, but it never decides what is good, decent and right. God does. A popular vote never has the last word, God does.
4. The Communist Party believes Sovereignty reposes in violence. Stalin asked the Pope, “How many divisions do you have?” Mao said, “Power comes from the barrel of a gun.” While CPOW believes in gun ownership and a strong military, try to shoot down a Tsunami wave. There are things with more power than our weaponry. God is more powerful than any of His creatures.
5. Anarchists believe Sovereignty reposes in the individual will, and thus all laws are a crime, because they repress “Person Autonomy.”
6. Socialists believe sovereignty reposes in “What is Good for the People”, similar to the Democrats, except in their view “good for the people” isn’t the popular vote, but what the loudest agitators say it is.
7. The Green Party believes in the Sovereignty of nature. But the natural world is under sin.
8. The Sovereignty of Government, many people as individuals believe this, that whatever government says is right, no matter what God says in His Word.
The Constitution Party’s Platform is based on the Sovereignty of God, as opposed to the “Sovereignty of Government”. The Bible says what belongs to Caesar. Our nation’s founders referred to God as Providence and Supreme Judge. Our threefold, “division of powers” is based on “For the Lord is our judge, the Lord is our lawgiver, the Lord is our king; he will save us.” -Isaiah 33:22.
Our “checks and balances” are based on “The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked, who can know it?” -Jeremiah 17:9
Sovereignty and salvation come from God, not government. Civil officers are to be ministers or servants, not rulers. CPOW is committed to holding our members and candidates to a high standard of political and personal conduct. We are accountable to each other, the public, and most importantly, to God. “For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. So, then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.” -Romans 14:11-12
Constitution Party of Wisconsin
PO Box 070344
Milwaukee WI, 53207