IPR: Libertarian Party Ballot Access: Libertarian Party of Illinois Turns in 53,000 Signatures

Posted to IPR by Caryn Ann Harlos today:

lpilll

Today, as reported on their Facebook page, the Libertarian Party of Illinois turned in 53,000 signatures to satisfy, with a more than healthy margin for validity rate, the ballot access requirement of 25,000 signatures.

So far, 15 comments have been posted on the article:

1. AndyJune 27, 2016 at 14:18
    The LP ended up spending a lot more money on the ballot access drive in Illinois than was originally budgeted, just as I predicted would happen right here on IPR.

They also ended up turning in more than double the signature requirement, which is 25,000. Note that in 2014, the LP of IL turned in about 43,000 signatures to meet the 25,000 requirement, and this was enough to survive the challenge.

2. AndyJune 27, 2016 at 14:21
    I am wondering if they turned in 10,000 more signatures this time than last time because their validity rate was lower this time. Regardless of the reason, it looks like the odds are very high that the LP has qualified for the Illinois ballot.

3. Be RationalJune 27, 2016 at 15:03
    They probably turned in more because the stakes are higher this year, so there is a greater incentive to keep the LP off the ballot. With so many signatures it’s unlikely any challenge would succeed, so they’re less likely to try.

4. AndyJune 27, 2016 at 15:05
    How is pointing out that I was right about the amount of money budgeted for the drive, and inquiring about the validity rate, just finding a reason to complain?

5. AndyJune 27, 2016 at 15:13
    The stakes were high in 2012 and the LP of IL did not turn in more than double the signature requirement that year. I recall around 43,000 being turned in then as well.

There have been times in the past where the LP of IL turned in double or more than the signature requirement, and they did that because the validity was low. I know that when this drive in in Illinois was started the original plan did not include turning in more than double the signature requirement, so I am wondering if the plan was altered because they started hiring jabronies and droolies off the street and off of Craigslist who brought the validity rate down, so they had to pay for more signatures than originally planned for to make up for it.

6. steve mJune 27, 2016 at 15:14
    It isn’t Andy. It should be an automatic part of a post project analysis. What was done, who did it, where could it have been done better.

7. Be RationalJune 27, 2016 at 15:19
    Sometimes, Andy, such on-line speculation can be counterproductive – encouraging outcomes that would be undesireable.

But this time, it looks like caution based on advice from wiser heads. The Greens are also reported to be filing double the requirement. Either the Ds or the Rs might see the risk from 3rd parties as higher this year, so it’s good both to prepare for and to deter a challenge by filing more sigs. Even with high validity the situation in IL requires extra precaution.

8. Jill PyeattJune 27, 2016 at 15:50
    I admit to not coming around IPR as much lately because of all the negativity. If a comment serves no purpose other than to complain, it would be nice to think twice about posting it–as I have about this comment. I’ve thought about saying this for a while, but then this would me a complainer, too. But, seriously, there is plenty to complain about, but also some great stuff going on. We had a great presence at Politicon in Pasadena this past weekend–an event that was expected to have 45,000 in attendance! There have been several articles in mainstream media with my vice-chair, Joshua Glawson, dressed up as George Washington holding Gary Johnson signs! Plus, yours truly was interviewed, and my group and I were mentioned favorably in a public radio write-up with an audio clip. I hope to put this all together tonight in an article.

And yes, Andy, I know the LP of CA used to have many more people and used to be more relevant. But, hey, we seem to be getting better!

9. Matt CholkoJune 27, 2016 at 20:37
    That’s actually 19 inches of statism. Just sayin’.

Seriously though, good job by the LP, meeting that absurd signature requirement.