Libertarian Party Presidential Candidate Darryl W. Perry Selects Muslim Running Mate

Darryl Perry

CONTACT: Darryl W. Perry
Phone: 202-709-4377                                    NEWS RELEASE
Email: Darryl@DarrylWPerry.com           FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Libertarian Presidential candidate Darryl W. Perry selects Muslim running mate

KEENE, NH, April 6, 2016 – The Libertarian Party, which made history in 1972 when Tonie Nathan became the first woman to receive an Electoral College vote, is notorious for breaking barriers on race, gender and sexual orientation decades before their mainstream counterparts do. In another groundbreaking move for the Libertarian Party, and American politics in general, Libertarian Presidential candidate Darryl W. Perry announced Wednesday that his running mate will be the first Muslim Vice Presidential candidate in American history.Perry’s running mate is a Muslim academic and thought leader, dedicated family man, and entrepreneur, and has gained name recognition with the Liberty Movement for his work as the National Director of Muslims for Liberty (M4L) – an organization that works to advance the cause of liberty from a principled and Islamic perspective.

The Darryl W. Perry 2016 campaign welcomes Vice Presidential candidate Will Coley to the campaign.

During his tenure, Coley has amassed a considerable following by preaching a message that simultaneously discourages violence while encouraging open-mindedness towards Muslims.

The announcement of Coley’s selection comes in the midst of the Perry Campaign steadily gaining momentum in the weeks leading up to the Libertarian Party’s National Convention slated for the weekend of May 27-30th in Orlando, Florida. Perry, a long-time Libertarian activist and media personality on Free Talk Live, chose Coley as his running mate because “he has intimate knowledge and insight both of the religion, and the cultures of the countries [the US military] has been actively bombing or occupying.”

Over the next six weeks, Perry will be attending a series of Libertarian Party State Conventions to network with fellow libertarians and discuss his platform. A complete listing of events is available on the Campaign’s website at DarrylWPerry.com.

###

To schedule an interview with Darryl, please send an email to Darryl@DarrylWPerry.comor call 202 709 4377
To schedule an interview with Will, please send an email to Will@muslims4liberty.org or call 865 336 0523
So far, 59 comments have been posted on the IPR article of this press release:
  1. robert capozziApril 6, 2016 at 11:42
    Hmm, I thought the LP selected their veep separately. Has that changed?Also, I would not think a NAPster candidate would pick a running mate based on his or her religion. It would instead be the veep’s commitment to non-aggression.

2. NewFederalistApril 6, 2016 at 11:48
    “Well, well, well…isn’t this an interesting development?” – Jill PyeattYup. Not sure how just yet but… yup.

3. Jim FApril 6, 2016 at 11:50
    Really? Darryl? You should know better. Read the damn bylaws! Find the GJ ’12 press release and copy/paste that you are ENDORSING Colley as the LP VP candidate. (Which actually could lead to it happening even if GJ wins the nomination again).
  4. George PhilliesApril 6, 2016 at 11:56
    The delegates choose, exactly as at a D or R convention. I am old enough to remember a contested nomination. The Presidential candidate gets to speak on the candidates and to urge them to make a choice. The delegates almost saved Bob Barr from Wayne Root. Johnson asked for Gray and got him. It’s an appropriate wording for a press release.
  5. George PhilliesApril 6, 2016 at 11:57
    There is a certain contrast that removes some of the stain on our party’s name from ‘ban the burkha’.
  6. Jim FApril 6, 2016 at 12:04
    George you are correct in what happens technically, but lets be realistic. in ’12 GJ endorsed Gray what 2 months before the convention, maybe less, but that’s the wording he used. And it didn’t get the knee jerk reaction. Too many people already think Anarchists aren’t serious, we need to be very careful how we choose words. I consider Perry a friend, and may be one of his largest donors this cycle, but I wish he would have chose his words more wisely. Granted if Carling’s bylaws proposal passes on the floor such a press release would be appropriate in ’20.
  7. Jim FApril 6, 2016 at 12:05
    >Also, I would not think a NAPster candidate would pick a running mate based on his or her religion. It
    >would instead be the veep’s commitment to non-aggression.Of course that’s a necessity. I hope you will familiarize yourself with Colely’s life work. Google Muslim Aggorist.

8. Thomas L. KnappApril 6, 2016 at 12:13
    My preference has been, and continues to be, for candidates who don’t pull this “running mate” bullshit.But in this cycle the candidates who haven’t done so are candidates I don’t support for other reasons that are more important, and the “running mates” of the candidates I could support don’t strike me as half bad.

I guess since I’ve already endorsed Darryl I’ll stick with him in spite of this. But I’m starting to see NOTA out of the corner of my eye again.

9. Brian HoltzApril 6, 2016 at 12:58
    It took Johnson only a day to admit his mistake on burqa banning. Similarly, Perry should quickly clarify that he understands that 1) the delegates choose his V.P., and 2) identity politics are to be denounced, not imitated.The Libertarian Party should be above identity politics. Religions and ethnicities don’t have rights, and individuals don’t get different rights from their religion or ethnicity.

10. Thomas L. KnappApril 6, 2016 at 13:14
    Brian,Glad to see you back at IPR. Sorry to see that you’ve apparently developed some kind of really bad drug habit that makes you see things that aren’t there (like Perry claiming that religions or ethnicities have rights).

“It took Johnson only a day to admit his mistake on burqa banning.”

Well, sort of. He kinda sorta admitted error on one tiny sliver of his Muslim-bashing (he kept on playing the “ooga booga — hide under your bed, it’s sharia law!” card for some time after that and may not have stopped even yet). And he pretended that his statement on burqa banning had been a single off-the-cuff answer to an unforeseen question from a single reporter for a single publication when in fact he had offered that identical statement to no fewer than three separate reporters in three separate interviews for three separate publications.

11. Brian HoltzApril 6, 2016 at 13:36
    I didn’t say that Perry claimed religions or ethnicities have rights. I was just exhibiting what an LP POTUS candidate should say about the cesspool of identity politics — as opposed to wading into it.When I mentioned this press release to my 15-year-old daughter, she instantly pointed out a less-dumb play: Perry’s announcement should have been all about Coley’s libertarian credentials, and let Coley’s religion be noted approvingly by third-party observers.

12. Jim FApril 6, 2016 at 13:47
    Brian, I agree with you. I think it should be clear that Will Coley is a fantastic libertarian activist committed to nothing less than a libertarian society, and he happens to be a Muslim who knows in his heart that his fellow believers will be best cared for by working voluntarily with all and not seeking special favors from anyone.
  13. AndyApril 6, 2016 at 13:58
    I agree with Brian here. This is clearly identity politics, which I do not care for either. This is the same type of crap that was used to push Obama (vote for Obama because he is “black”), and to push Hillary Clinton (vote for Hillary because she is a woman).I am more interested in where a candidate stands on issues, what kind of activism they have done, what are political strategare do they plan to implement, what is their character (like do they keep their word), and other issues of substance.

Saying, “Vote for me because I am _________________ (fill in blank with black or female or Jewish or Irish or Italian or Hispanic or Muslim or whatever).” strikes me as pandering and as being a cheap publicity stunt that lacks any real substance. I would never vote for a candidate based on their professed religion, or their sex, or their sexual orientation, or their ethnicity, or for any other superficial reason.

I looked this guy up and he appears to be a white guy from Tennessee who converted to being a Muslim. Why anyone would join any religion is beyond me, but to each their own. He appears to be a good, well meaning fellow, so I am not trying to put the guy down. I’m just not a fan of identity politics.

14. Thomas L. KnappApril 6, 2016 at 14:00
    “Saying, ‘Vote for me because I am _________________ (fill in blank with black or female or Jewish or Irish or Italian or Hispanic or Muslim or whatever).’ strikes me as pandering and as being a cheap publicity stunt that lacks any real substance”It probably strikes most people that way.

But of course Perry’s press release says nothing whatsoever even distantly resembling that.

15. AndyApril 6, 2016 at 14:05
  16. Thomas KnappApril 6, 2016 at 14:11
    “Why mention his religion at all? I don’t give a shit about a candidate’s religion (or lack thlaeof).”Considering that he’s the head of Muslims4Liberty and that his primary political work is in the Muslim community, not mentioning his religion would be the equivalent of if Robert F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King had not been shot, and if the former had named the latter as his running mate in 1968, not mentioning his race or civil rights work, but only that he had been a Democratic committeman for X precinct in Y town.

Or, to put it a different way, it would be fucking stupid.

17. BondurantApril 6, 2016 at 14:13
    I read the release as a blatant “fuck you” to Johnson’s GOP Lite fearmongering.
  18. AndyApril 6, 2016 at 14:22
    Yes, mentioning it in regard to the candidate’s activism is fine, but the press release waves around the candidate’s religion first, before even mentioning the guy’s name.This gives it the look of publicity stunt.

19. robert capozziApril 6, 2016 at 14:29
    As I’d not heard of Will Coley previously, and not that it matters, but as a point of information: the name “Will Coley” does not associate to me as a Muslim name. And I’d think that’d be the case for most. It doesn’t sound like someone who has lineage from N. Africa or the Middle East or S. Asia, or even Indonesia.It truly doesn’t matter, but is Coley a convert to Islam? Or perhaps was the name Anglophied? Something else?

Ancestry.com says: Coley Name Meaning English (West Midlands): nickname for a swarthy person, from Old English colig ‘dark’, ‘black’ (a derivative of col ‘(char)coal’).English: possibly a habitational name from Coaley in Gloucestershire, named in Old English as ‘woodland clearing (leah) with a hut or shelter (cofa)’.Probably an Americanized form of Swiss German Kohli or Kohler.

Perry/Coley has an ethno-vibe roughly equivalent to Johnson/Gray.

20. AndyApril 6, 2016 at 14:32
    I still consider Darryl Perry to be the most libertarian candidate in the race, and i would still vote for him if his name appears on the November election ballot.Whether I will vote for him at the convention or not I do not know. I am torn between NOTA, casting a write in vote, or voting for Perry. If I had to vote for somebody, out of the current field of candidates, Darryl Perry is still the one for whom I would cast a vote for the nomination (as in i have bigger problems with the other candidates currently in the race for the nomination).

21. AndyApril 6, 2016 at 14:35
    Robert Capozzi, like I said above in the thread, I looked him up and he appears to be a white guy from Tennessee who converted to Islam.
  22. George DanceApril 6, 2016 at 14:36
    Carpozzi “Also, I would not think a NAPster candidate would pick a running mate based on his or her religion. It would instead be the veep’s commitment to non-aggression.” That’s a false dichotomy; there’s no reason to think that, because Will Coley is Muslim, that he’s uncommitted to aggression.Holtz: “When I mentioned this press release to my 15-year-old daughter, she instantly pointed out a less-dumb play: Perry’s announcement should have been all about Coley’s libertarian credentials,

Your daughter may not understand that a press release is meant to get press. The question of whether a Muslim can be President (or even a resident, for that matter) has already come up in the course of the election. It looks to me as if playing into that narrative would be more likely to get press attention than one with the theme, “libertarian picks libertarian for running mate”. (yawn)

“– and let Coley’s religion be noted approvingly by third-party observers.”

First, for the above reason, I think it unlikely that any mainstream press would dig into Coley’s background. Second, if someone did, then the obvious first question would be “Why did Perry try to hide it?” To give a standard libertarian answer — “We don’t think a person’s religion is that important” — sounds either disingenuous (if it’s not important, why hide it?) or like a total unawareness that, in this campaign, the question has been made important.

23. robert capozziApril 6, 2016 at 14:48
    GD, yes, getting attention is the goal of a release.Pandering and grandstanding, however, takes attention getting to over-the-top levels.

My sense is this move might well backfire internally in the LP/LM to the extent anyone even notices this “news” beyond IPR and other narrowcast channels. I notice that the Knappster himself, a Perry supporter, has stated here: “But I’m starting to see NOTA out of the corner of my eye again.”

Ls of all stripes generally bristle at anything in the identity politics neighborhood, which I’d say this move is. OTOH, my guess is that Perry is probably a longshot anyway, so I can understand the desperation behind this transparent ploy. He’s probably the “purest” choice, but even the heavily deontologically inclined L community recognize that a candidate is more than a Max Headroom recitation box.

24. George DanceApril 6, 2016 at 14:48
    sorry, my last comment should have read …”incommitted to non-aggression”Andy: “This gives it the look of publicity stunt.” It does look like an attempt to get publicity, yes. That is what press releases are supposed to be.

25. Thomas L. KnappApril 6, 2016 at 15:06
    RC,It’s not any “identity politics” angle that I had a problem with. It’s the whole idea of LP presidential candidates coming in to the convention with “running mates.”

I consider it a feature, not a bug, that the LP actually nominates its presidential and vice-presidential candidates separately, rather than merely formally doing so as the major parties do, where the presidential nominee announces a “running mate” and the convention just ratifies the pick.

Or at least we did it our way from at least as far back as 1996, when I joined the LP, until 2012, when Johnson ran as a ticket “with” Gray. And my understanding is that it’s always been like that and that in one or two cases the presidential nominee did not get the VP candidate he endorsed.

In 2008, the LP would have been in much better position both to reap good publicity and to maintain more internal unity if it had nominated Steve Kubby instead of Bob Barr’s choice, Wayne Allyn Root, for vice president. And we came within, IIRC, 30 votes or so of doing just that.

Darryl assures me that Coley will be running his own VP campaign, not just being part of a “ticket” run, and that he will support Coley for VP regardless of which presidential candidate the convention picks.

That could be a good thing. If Johnson somehow manages to stop his precipitous slide into the dustbin of LP history and gets the nomination again (I hear he has another anti-libertarian bombshell coming in the second half of the Fox debate, and I’m thinking he’s fatally wounded himself already), having a Muslim running mate might act as a sort of sock in his mouth to keep him from continuing to say the dumb stuff he’s been saying.

26. Marc Allan FeldmanApril 6, 2016 at 15:37
    I think it would have been better if Will Coley made the announcement himself that he was running for VP. Later, if he felt it was the right thing to do, he could endorse Perry. I see a real problem if it is viewed as
    1. Darryl Perry says the Constitution of the United States in unfit to exist.
    2. Darryl Perry has chosen a Muslim running mate.
    This could give the false impression that because he is Muslim, he is against the Constitution.
    Compare with my message earlier this month:
    “Our best weapon against ISIS: Our 3 million American Muslims who love our country, and our freedom, and want to protect it. “
  27. Jill PyeattPost authorApril 6, 2016 at 15:38
    This appears to me to be a very good move. This is an unusual election, so I don’t mind the “identity” politics. Darryl is being ignored in the press more than he should be, and this might get their attention. It also might counteract some of Johnson’s missteps.It also shows that Muslims live among us and can look and behave much like the people around them.

28. AndyApril 6, 2016 at 15:54
    “Richard Winger
    April 6, 2016 at 15:30
    Arabs are ‘white guys’.”I meant white guy of European ancestry.

29. Rebel AllianceApril 6, 2016 at 16:03
  30. AndyApril 6, 2016 at 16:04
    “Rebel Alliance
    April 6, 2016 at 16:03
    Sam Sloan voted for himself in 2012 in each of the rounds. That’s why he received the 1 vote.”LOL!

31. NewFederalistApril 6, 2016 at 16:23
    I hope Dr. Feldman selects a Zoroastrian as his running mate. That would be ultra cool!
  32. NewFederalistApril 6, 2016 at 16:34
    He did? Damn… he really fucked up! Pardon my French (or is it Creole?)!
  33. Wang Tang-FuApril 6, 2016 at 16:40
    Will Coley should have made his own announcement. I think he deserves legitimate consideration for the VP nomination regardless of who the delegates pick for the Presidential nomination.Also, why is it relevant whether Sam Sloan or Will Coley are converts to Islam or children of Muslim parents? It so happens that they are converts, but if anything that makes their religious faith more, not less, genuine. Should they be considered to be any less “real” Muslims because they were not born into it?

Children of Muslim parents from around the world also include many people who “look white” according to even the racial notions of white supremacists, illustrating yet again that all of these racial categories are bunk (since according to some people, including some of those here, Arabs, Persians etc are not “true” whites). It was, in fact, the large number of what most “white” and “black” Americans consider to be “white looking” people from all over the world, and of people of all races and nationalities imaginable, that famously led Malcolm X to reconsider his prior, black supremacist views as he made his way through the Muslim pilgrimage of the Hajj.

It seems highly unlikely that either Coley or Sloan are the first American Muslims to seek the presidential or VP nomination of any party whatsoever, although I don’t know any counterexamples off the top of my head. However, if he actually receives the nomination, Coley could well be the first American Muslim officially on the ballot in enough states to theoretically have a chance of winning the electoral vote, which some people may consider to be noteworthy. I am not counting any alleged “secret Muslims” here.

I agree that Coley could well symbolically balance a Johnson ticket, much as Kubby could have balanced Barr’s if a few delegates had not left the floor in disgust after Barr was nominated. I could be wrong but I seem to recall reading that it was closer than the 30 votes Mr. Knapp says above separated Root and Kubby (in the comments above). Hopefully that lesson will remain in delegates’ heads if Gov. Johnson does in fact get nominated again.

34. NewFederalistApril 6, 2016 at 16:45
    Methinks your ancient translation program is bogus! You are not what you say! I will send the Banshee for you! Beware!
  35. Wang Tang-FuApril 6, 2016 at 17:18
    A thousand pardons, NewFederalist, but my translation program is indeed having great trouble making any sense of your last comment. At times I think the program is very excellent, but at times I fear it is very poor, as I fail to make any heads or tails of what you native speakers are trying to say.
  36. AndyApril 6, 2016 at 17:41
  37. NewFederalistApril 6, 2016 at 17:48
    Andy- What? Both Islam and Zoroastrianism have a connection to the Middle East.
  38. Wang Tang-FuApril 6, 2016 at 18:02
    “I would say that it is relavent because neither have a connection to the Middle East.”So? Muslims come from many different parts of the world, and include both children of Muslim parents and converts. In fact, most children of Muslim parents aren’t even from the Middle East, either. There are predominantly Muslim areas in many parts of Africa, Central Asia, and South Asia, and European nations such as Albania and Bosnia that are in large parts Muslim and have been for centuries. So, again, why is it relevant whether Mr. Coley or Mr. Sloan have Middle Eastern ancestry? Are they any less Muslim as a result? Is a “white” American convert to Islam somehow less Muslim than a “black” American convert to Islam? Perhaps you believe a Bosnian, Albanian, Tatar or Turkish Muslim is less Muslim than a Pakistani or Phillipino Muslim just by virtue of ethnicity? Or, perhaps you think none of them are “real” Muslims?

39. AndyApril 6, 2016 at 18:28
    I would be willing to bet that there are very few Americans who would be classified as white, who have converted to Islam. Probably the same with white Europeans. This makes their conversions unusual, as in outside the norm.I am not saying they are bad people (but then again with Sam Sloan, after what he pulled with the LP of New York, maybe he is), but just made a choice in religion that is pretty outside the norm for their backgrounds.

40. robert capozziApril 6, 2016 at 19:21
    wtf: Also, why is it relevant whether Sam Sloan or Will Coley are converts to Islam or children of Muslim parents?me: Because DWP’s release says: “chose Coley as his running mate because “he has intimate knowledge and insight both of the religion, and the cultures of the countries [the US military] has been actively bombing or occupying.”

Certainly a convert very likely has more insight into Islam than non-Muslims. But he may or may not have more insight into the cultures of Syria and Iraq. I don’t feel I have better insight into the culture of Italy than other Americans, despite my being raised Catholic and having an Italian surname.

It’s not to say that Coley doesn’t have intimate knowledge of Syria and Iraq. He might. Maybe he’s lived there, gone there, or whatever. Point is: Just because he’s a Muslim convert ALONE is not proof of cultural insight.

Clearer?

41. Steven WilsonApril 6, 2016 at 19:58
    A few points of interests:
    1. Darryl compares announcing a mulsim running mate to that of Nathan being a woman and the first to receive a electoral college vote.
    2. His reasoning for the pick is to educate American voters on the muslim countries the US are currently invading, bombing, or occupying.
    Perry, for some obvious reasons, has been ignored this election cycle. So far, the most interesting thing about his campaign is how he takes donations. This kind of marketing can be useful, but only in certain situations.
    As the press release offers resumes for both men, it fails to mention that the delegates of the convention pick the President and Vice President separately. The one can endorse the other and even campaign together, but the release reads as if this is not the case.
    My assessment:
    Perry failed to understand his customer base within the LP by highlighting a singular variable about the VP candidate. In my time with the LP, I cannot recall a Presidential candidate endorsing a VP running mate because of one thing; especially religion.
    It makes Perry appear desparate to grab some attention leading up to the convention. Being left off the debate stage with Stossel and polling far behind the other candidates illustrates his perceived weakness by Libertarians. It is almost like he is self-proclaiming himself as the Muslim President.I believe this could damage his credibility with his base supporters and even some new ones. Perry wrote the release as if he had never been to a convention or read the LP rules for Presidential nominees/VP nominees and the process by which they are selected.

What should’ve been done:
    Coley should’ve announced his candidacy through a neutral media outlet. Waited a week and then announced through a different media outlet that he is endorsing Perry for President. Then, Perry should have began a dialogue open to the public about the connectionism between the two men and how it can help America and the LP.

Announcing that Perry has ushered in another “first” for the LP seems like too much theater. The delivery has removed any merit.

42. AndyApril 6, 2016 at 20:01
    “NewFederalist
    April 6, 2016 at 19:54
    ‘Capozzi just hit the nail on the head.’ – AndyAnother IPR first!”

No, Capozzi gets things right every so often, and when he does I have given him credit for it.

43. Steve ScheetzApril 6, 2016 at 20:09
    There are bigoted words/phrases like “Islamofascist” “Islamoterrorist” floating out there, and they are absolutely meant to suggest that People following Islam are pre-disposed to murder, hate, and are, by definition against freedom.In Philadelphia, we had a Muslim Libertarian on our panel of experts, and I think that it is VERY important that people start seeing Muslims as potential Libertarians much like we see other people as potential Libertarians.

We have the “top 3” out there offering some unlibertarian statements, (Austin Wade Petersen has actually deleted some of his more offensive statements from his website) Their goals are to get more votes… Possibly even 5% this go around… This means that they KNOW that they are going to lose, but they are still willing to sacrifice core principles at the alter of “up to 5%”

I think that this is a positive step in possibly repairing some of the harm that bigots from all walks have visited upon us as a people.

“Muslims lynch Gays”
    “Muslims do terrible things to women”
    “Muslims want to murder us all”

I am certain some Muslims DO, Why should Americans have a monopoly on perpetrating the above mentioned evils?

Sincerely,

Steve Scheetz

44. Ray BannonApril 6, 2016 at 20:11
    So, it’s a real stretch to surmise that a converted Muslim American who has spent many years working in the Muslim community has insight into the cultures of the countries the US has been bombing and occupying? Maybe because he has spent a lot of time with people from those countries? Sounds really far fetched to me.
  45. AndyApril 6, 2016 at 20:27
    “Steve Scheetz
    April 6, 2016 at 20:09
    There are bigoted words/phrases like ‘Islamofascist’ ‘Islamoterrorist’ floating out there, and they are absolutely meant to suggest that People following Islam are pre-disposed to murder, hate, and are, by definition against freedom.”Well at least some of them do fit this description. See recent examples out of Europe.

This of course do not mean that all Muslims are like that. Every groups has its extremists, so I’m sure that there are more reasonable Muslims out there.

The US government has actually taken actions to help “radicalize” Muslims. Do a search for CIA Operation Cyclone. The US military has also been interfering in the affairs of and attacking Muslim nations for a long time, so we should not be surprised that this has created enemies.

Even so, the statistics clearly show that it is Muslims from the Middle East and North Africa who have been wreaking havoc and creating a big rape epidemic that is currently happening in multiple countries in Europe (Sweden, Norway, Germany, etc…). Last year 100% of the rapes committed in Olso, Norway were committed by Muslim migrants. Muslim migrants in Sweden have caused the number of rapes committed in there to go up by 1,000%.

I think that it is great that there are a few libertarian Muslims out there, and hopefully they can influence more Muslims to adopt libertarian principles.

46. AndyApril 6, 2016 at 20:45
    Steve Scheetz said: “Most of you already know that the nomination will most likely NOT fall to Darryl Perry, (which is tragic, BTW) Because Darryl has taken his job of educating the people (changing hearts and freeing minds) seriously.”Out of the candidates who are currently seeking the nomination, I think that Perry is the most libertarian, and that he has the best background of being an actual libertarian activist, but like you said, he is not likely to win the nomination.

Why? Lack of money. Lack of “fancy” credentials. One would think that Perry being one of the hosts of the talk radio show, Free Talk Live, would count as a fancy credential, but apparently not enough people listen to Free Talk Live, or the fact that he is one of a rotating staff of 5 or 6 co-hosts (or however many they have) makes this credential seem less impressive that it would be otherwise.

It seems to me that there are a lot of people who become delegates at LP conventions who are impressed by “fancy” sounding credentials, and who go for “fancy” credentials, and what they consider to be “flash” and “fame” (even though the fame of any of the candidates who have shown up at LP conventions is so low that most of the public does not know who these candidates are), over actual substance.

Now don’t get me wrong, if possible, I’d prefer a candidate who has “fancy” credentials, and who is “flashy” and “famous”, but I do not think that the party should sacrifice much if anything in the way of principles to get it.

Considering that most of the delegates who are likely to be in Orlando are going to chose perceptions of “flash” and “fame” over substance, and considering that most of the delegates are not going to consider Darryl Perry to be “flashy” and “famous”, he is not likely to win the presidential nomination, but maybe he’d stand a better chance of winning the vice presidential nomination. The angle for him to use to get it would be to balance the ticket out, by having a hardcore “radical” Libertarian as the VP nominee.

So I think that if Perry wants to be on the ticket, he should leave his options open to run for Vice President.

47. AndyApril 6, 2016 at 20:46
    ” seem less impressive that it would be otherwise.”Should read, “seem less impressive than it would be otherwise.”

48. George PhilliesApril 6, 2016 at 21:26
    Perry made an excellent political decision here.With respect to the islamophobe candidate going on about Islamites being commanded to kill gays, the correct immediate response of an opponent was to point out that the same command is found in Leviticus (but Jews don’t do that) and at the time of the Revolution in the laws of every colony (and a minor pre-revolutionary feud was that the colonists wanted to hang lesbians, and London refused to agree.)